Monday, March 9, 2009

Day 69 - Our daily bread


Today was my day off, and after my dentist appointment, I decided to go to Victoria Market. I bought lots of bread and froze most of it. There's something satisfying about a large, fat loaf of bread, especially when you can see textured traces of the baker's touch.
I'm fascinated by what bread represents, and how it's such a simple staple, as well as being a versatile favourite. Bread is one of the oldest prepared foods, and is made in different ways by different nationalities. It's a euphemism, eg. in the Lord's prayer, and some people treat it as almost sacred. My mother always said it was a sin to throw away bread. Meanwhile, she buys more than she can eat, and throws it out, but on the grass for the birds. Linguistically, it's been used to denote money, eg. 'breadwinner'. Russians used to greet guests with bread and salt. We didn't do that, but my in-laws greeted my husband and me to the wedding reception with bread and salt (and vodka!)Wikipedia has an interesting write-up for bread

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy - fresh, homemade bread (especially the artisan types) is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete