Monday, March 16, 2009

Day 76 - Cooking borscht


Today is my one day off in the week. I decided to make borscht which is a traditional Russian soup. Many people make it with meat but I make it without - the way my mother makes it which, according to her, is the Ukrainian way.
You chop up and fry up an onion, 2 beetroots, a carrot, 2 sticks celery, a parsnip (yuk), a green pepper (or red) and garlic. Don't overfry. Then you add a tin of chopped tomatoes, some tomato sauce, bayleaves, parsley and dill, season. I add soup cubes. Slow boil about 30-45 minutes or until the beetroot starts to face. Add half or quarter of a cabbage (finely cut up) and cook about 15 minutes more. We also add a tin of baked beans. That's instead of the potato that most people add.
You could easily improvise. I also like it without cabbage and double the beetroot. It's great with fresh dill and sour cream to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment